Functional Medicine is an emerging form of healthcare that finds and fixes root cause ailments for those suffering from chronic symptoms or conditions. This contrasts with Conventional Medicine, which focuses mainly on prescription medications and a 7-minute office visit. Functional Medicine is about forming relationships with patients and finding out which factors will get them better while finding out which factors to remove to get back to health. Any patient can achieve Functional Medicine Success. Continue reading to learn how to achieve success with your Functional Medicine treatment program.
With Functional Medicine, YOU become your own doctor. We are here to give you the tools you need to succeed, and to guide you along your path. It is imperative that you become proactive in YOUR health. The patients that really succeed in regaining their health have a few things in common, they are:
1. Communication With Functional Medicine, we will be working closely with you over the coming months. This means that in order to achieve optimal health, you will need to have excellent communication with your doctor. Because everybody has different backgrounds, exposures, and diets—each person may respond differently to care. Our goal is to personalize your care depending on how you respond to diet, lifestyle, and supplementation. There is always a Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C. If you feel like you aren’t progressing or you may feel off, be sure to implement the Adverse Reactions Guide. If you are still having trouble, be sure to schedule a call or consult with your doctor.
2. They make diet and lifestyle a priority.
Whatever we make a priority in our life, we spend our energy on. When you make your health a priority, it totally changes your life. This may include getting to bed earlier, or making time to cook your food, or taking time out of your day to de-stress. Whatever we schedule gets done. You may want to include your recommendations into your daily schedule on your phone, computer, etc. to keep you on track.
3. They follow the Eating Plan (s). Your diet is arguably the #1 factor in your health. The things you put in your mouth can literally build you up or break you down. While in your first few months of healing and repairing, it is imperative that you follow your dietary recommendations. These are set up in order to get you to optimal health the fastest.
3. They don’t beat themselves up. It’s not about perfection, it’s about continual improvement. Health is not a destination, it’s a journey and a learning experience. If you fall off of the plan, don’t continue to fall: pick yourself up, forget about the bad and focus on the good in your health and your life. Great patients have a great mental attitude towards themselves and health, in general.
4. They show up or actively participate in appointments. Instead of giving you a few supplements and checking in in 6-9 months, our goal is to personalize the best plan for you to get healthy and stay healthy. This requires that we touch base more frequently to ensure that you are on the right path in terms of diet, lifestyle, and supplementation. For some reason, if you have to miss an appointment, be sure to rebook so you don’t fall behind your pace.
5. They take the recommended supplements and follow the recommended plan. Supplements are critical in order to reset the body systems and to potentially resolve root causes of inflammation and disease. You won’t be on all of your supplements forever, so be sure to follow the plan for the short time you will be on them. When you are running low, be sure to re-order to ensure you don’t have days or weeks on lapse in your care, which can cause you to potentially slide backward.
6. They become in-tuned with their body. This may take practice for some, but it can be extremely powerful in recognizing which foods, supplements, and lifestyle factors are benefiting you. You can keep a diet diary, note symptoms, or record lifestyle factors in order to help your doctor find the correct plan for you.
Our goal is to help REGAIN and MAINTAIN your health. When you have your health back, you are able to do the things you love, spend more time with the people you love, and be the best person you can be! By following these simple steps, countless people have seen their disease go away and their health return, and we’re confident that you can, too!