Upper cervical chiropractic is a specialty of chiropractic that focuses on the area where the head meets the spine. Your cervical vertebrae are located in your neck. This is where the brain connects to the rest of the body. This extraordinarily important area of the nervous system controls many of our bodily functions without us thinking about it (referred to as our autonomic nervous system). Our autonomic nervous system controls functions like heart contractility and lung function, immune response, gut health, posture and pain.
At Core Health in St. Louis, we sometimes implement upper cervical chiropractic as part of our functional medicine treatment plans. While we do utilize this chiropractic technique in our practice, we are not a traditional chiropractic office. Common fears that patients sometimes have regarding aggressive adjustments are not an issue with upper cervical chiropractic. This technique is gentle and painless.
Upper Cervical care is different than traditional chiropractic in that:
- Instead of adjusting where the pain is, the adjustment is given where the problem is
- Objective data is used to lead the doctor to where the problem is, including infrared scanning, x rays and posture checks
- Because the workup and analysis is so in depth and the adjustment is so precise, frequent adjustments are often unnecessary
- Because the brainstem controls so many functions of the body, correcting a misalignment doesn’t just decrease pain and improve posture, but can affect the entire body
The adjustment is a light tap on the bone, it is extremely gentle and most people barely feel it. In fact, most corrections apply less pressure to the spine than a sneeze would.
Conditions that have seen improvement with Upper Cervical Care:
- Immune system dysfunction
- Back/neck pain
- Gastro-intestinal issues
- Children or toddlers with ear infections or gas and bloating
- General Wellness, and many more